Friday, November 2, 2012

Nearing the finish line...or the starting point

Today was my last day of training at FSI, and boy did that thought help me jump out of bed this morning and get moving. Since finishing ConGen, I've had classes in team-building, security overseas, topics in China studies, and online training, all in the name of filling up time before departure to post. There have been useful and insightful parts of these classes, but I'm definitely feeling more ready to get to work.

And yet, when 3 days of class were cancelled this week due to Hurricane Sandy, I wasn't too distressed! Since we never lost power in my apartment complex, the days were restful and cozy - sleeping in, extended time to pray and journal, hitting the gym, movies and board games with coworkers, and um.....eating lots of junk food. The current situation for the hurricane victims north of here is so distressing, but it was merciful that we were spared anything like that here and ended up having a mini-vacation instead.

Next week will be my last time in DC for a while, and instead of classes, I'm given "consultation days." This includes one last briefing, meeting with my mentor, checking out with way too many offices, and Packout #2 of this career. After two years of being a grad student, then having two months of idleness and 4 more months of classes and training, it feels good to be reaching the end of being a student for a little while and the beginning of real responsibilities. A little scary, but good.

One last thing for now - here's a short film about what Foreign Service Officers actually do! Many scenes in the life of ambassadors and junior officers, FSOs sharing their experiences in the application process, and shots of the mock visa windows and prison cell we used in consular training. But best of all, it shows my flag day! The 168th A-100 class and I appear around 10:00. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Love the video and seeing your smiling face in it! I'll have to watch it again to inspire me to rock my personal narratives this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This could be the year! I found out that my DCM last summer (now Ambassador to Armenia) went through the application process 7 times before finally making it. That's perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool video! Glad to hear that you have finished up with training. I'll be praying for you as you prepare to depart!

    ReplyDelete